Dogs and Chocolate

In honor of Ziva attending East Colfax Petco’s Summer Block Party event this upcoming Sunday, we wanted to dig up some facts as to why our furry friends and our favorite treats don’t mix. Some of what we found was common knowledge, and some more intriguing—yet scary—facts.

Chocolate actually contains a toxin called “theobromine” that humans digest easily. Dogs, on the other hand, are unable to process this toxin, and it builds up in their system. A lot of scary symptoms can arise, and sometimes can be resolved without veterinarian intervention, but you should contact your vet as soon as you suspect Spot has dug into any type of chocolate.

We also found out that the darker the chocolate, the higher the theobromine levels, and the more dangerous it is for your pup. White chocolate and milk chocolate contain the least, but they still are not safe for your dog to consume. The danger also varies by size; a small toy dog eating even a teaspoon of dark chocolate can be fatal, while a larger dog might be okay (albeit very sick and unsettled) eating the same amount.

Chocolate is an incredible treat for people (especially our chocolate, but we’re biased) but it is clearly not an option for man or woman’s best friend. Try to keep your Ziva Chocolates high or in a closed container in a cupboard out of reach, especially if you have a large dog that can jump onto your counter or table.

We hope that we were able to give a little bit of information, and inspiration to bring your pup to East Colfax Petco’s Summber Block Party this Sunday (we willhave chocolate for people, not for pups.) We hope to see you there!

We just want to make the world a better place, one peace at a time.

References:

http://www.hillspet.com/en/us/dog-care/nutrition-feeding/is-chocolate-bad-for-dogs

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/dogs-and-chocolate-get-the-facts#1

Stella

Stella, the author's dog, out on a walk, trying to hide in the shade.